Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day Four

So its been a while since we last talked but I have been very busy. After analysing my spending I have a new appreciation for bookkeepers!

I have exciting news folks. Gail got back to me and explained quite simply, if you put it in your mouth it is groceries!! (Won't go there!) She's is great. This is one of the things I like about Gail, she is simple and to the point. I'm glad I emailed her (an ecstatic that she returned it sooo fast) because the next step was creating a balanced budget. I looked at what I use as a budget and what Gail said to use and could not figure out how to put all my expenses into her budget but I did it because I kept it simple and used something that I find really hard to pull up............common sense.

Before this however, I had to own up to my debt. This was extremely educational. For instance I had never thought of overdraft being a debt to me it was always a "paycheck" or "security money just in case" No this is a debt folks and when I used her formula to figure out how much I had to put in my budget to pay it off I realized how much of a debt it was.........$83.00 a month!!! That is my hairdressing money, guess I better get use to the grey hair for a bit eh?

This wasn't the only debt that I tucked away neatly in my subconscious, I had more!! RRSP's used to buy the house, loans from my parents, Don't Pay until 6Months no interest (oh ya I love this because you always say, "It will be paid in 6 months so it doesn't count!" Not to mention the big whopper............my student loan that was supposedly paid by a bursary since I was on mother's allowance during school and had to spend a whopper of days writing an essay (not to mention putting my life's poor decisions on the board for everyone to see!!) then the government deciding that years later it wasn't paid!! But face reality, its the government do you really think they are going to say "oops we made a mistake"? So this has now become my worst debt!

However let me tell you, and I can, that after doing this I was upset but after a day or eight it was actually a relief and felt good to be in control of what I owe. So my advise, just do it no matter how hard or how bad its the tool you need to take charge of your life and not let others take charge of it for you. BE EMPOWERED PEOPLE!! after all it is our debt and we did it right? :)

No comments: